makes 12 slices
3 cups (350 g) 3/4 lb plain wholemeal flour
2 tsp (10 ml) ground ginger
2 level tsp (10 ml) baking powder
8 oz (225 g) sultanas (golden raisins), rinsed
7.5 ml (1 1/2 tsp) finely grated fresh root ginger
2 eggs, size 2
4 tbsp (60 ml) semi-skimmed milk
175 g (6 oz) molasses
4 oz (100 g) polyunsaturated margarine
3 tbsp (60 ml) rum
1. Grease a 900 g (2 lb) loaf tin. Sift the flour, ginger and baking powderl into a large mixing bowl and add thei bran in the sieve.
2. Stir in half the sultanas.
3. Puree the remaining sultanas in a blender or food processor with the root ginger, eggs and milk.
4. Gently heat the molasses and margarine in a saucepan until the margarine has melted.
5. Add the sultana mixture and the molasses mixture to the flour, with the rum.
6. Stir well, adding a little more milk if needed to make a soft dropping consistency.
7. Pour into the tin. Bake at 170°C (325°F) mark 3 for about 1 hour, until the cake is springy in the centre.
8. Leave in the tin until almost cold. Turn out and cut into slices.