Flageolets in Rosemary Sauce is an excellent vegetable accompaniment to roast lamb.
8 oz (225 g) dried green flageolet beans, soaked overnight, drained and rinsed
1 garlic clove, skinned
2 fresh rosemary sprigs
40 g (1 1/2 oz) margarine
1 onion, skinned and finely chopped
3 tbls (25 g) 1 oz plain flour (All purpose)
2/3 cup (150 ml) 1/4 semi skimmed milk
salt and pepper, to taste
1. Cover the beans with water and boil for 10 - 15 minutes, then drain.
2. Place the beans in the rinsed out saucepan with 750 ml (1 1/4 pints) water and bring to the boil.
3. Skim any scum from the surface, then add the garlic and 1 rosemary sprig.
4. Cover and simmer for about 1 1/4 hours, until the beans are tender. Drain, reserving the cooking liquid but discarding the garlic and rosemary.
5. Heat the margarine in a saucepan and cook the onion gently for 5 minutes, until soft.
6. Stir in the flour, then the milk. Add 200 ml (7 fl oz) of the cooking liquid and bring to the boil, stirring, until thickened.
7. Add seasoning and the remaining sprig of rosemary.
8. Stir in the beans and simmer for 2-3 minutes or until heated through.