1/3 cup (50 g) 2 oz plain flour (All purpose)
1/3 cup (50 g) 2 oz plain wholemeal flour
3 oz (75 g) polyunsaturated margarine
1 tsp (5 ml) lemon juice
1 egg, size 6, beaten
4 tbsp (60 ml) grated Parmesan cheese
5 - 10 ml (1-2 tsp) caraway seeds
pepper, to taste
1. Put the flours into a bowl and rub in the margarine.
2. Add the lemon juice and 45-60 ml (3 tbsp) chilled water and mix to a soft dough.
3. Turn the dough on to a lightly floured surface and roll out to a rectangle about 38 x 12.5 cm (15 x 5 inches). Fold the bottom third of the pastry up over the centre third, and bring the top third of the pastry down.
4. Wrap in cling film and chill 15 minutes.
5. Repeat the rolling and folding process twice more. Stand for 15 minutes in between. Chill the dough for a further 15 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, lightly grease a baking sheet.
7. Roll the dough out to a 30.5cm (12 inch) square and cut in half.
8. Brush one piece of pastry with beaten egg and sprinkle with half the Parmesan cheese, caraway seeds and pepper.
9. Top with the second piece of dough and roll the two together gently. Glaze with the beaten egg and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
10. Cut into 1 cm 1/2 inch) wide strips. Twist each one 3 or 4 times and place on the baking sheet.
11. Bake at 220°C (425°f) mark 7 for 12 - 15 minutes, until golden.
Carefully transfer to a wire rack to cool.
8 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!