makes 9 pieces
4 oz (100 g) cornmeal
2/3 cup (100 g) 4 oz self raising (self rising)wholemeal flour (whole grain)
2 1/2 tsp (12.5 ml) baking powder
3 oz (75 g) curd cheese
350 ml (12 fl oz) semi-skimmed milk
2.5 ml 0 tsp) salt
4 oz (100 g) carrots, scrubbed and finely grated
polyunsaturated margarine, to serve
1. Lightly grease and line the bottom of a shallow 18 cm (7 inch) square baking tin.
2. Sift together the cornmeal, the flour and baking powder, adding the bran left in the sieve.
3. Blend together the cheese, milk and salt.
4. Stir the carrot into the flour, then gradually stir in the milk mixture.
5. Pour the mixture into the tin and bake at 190°C (375°f) mark 5 for 40 minutes or until pale golden.
6. Turn out and serve warm. Cut into squares and spread with margarine.