3/4 stick (6 Tbsp) 75 g butter
4 oz (100 g) bacon rashers, finely chopped
1 young rabbit, jointed
4 medium onions, skinned and chopped
small bunch of mixed herbs (parsley, thyme, marjoram)
1/4 level tsp (1.25 ml) grated nutmeg
salt and freshly ground pepper
3 tbls (25 g) 1 oz flour
2 egg yolks
1 sherry glass white wine
grated rind of 1/2 lemon
1. Melt 25 g (1 oz) butter in a large saucepan, add the bacon and fry gently.
2. Add the rabbit pieces and chopped onions and fry for 3 minutes.
3. Add the cloves, herbs (tied in a muslin bag), nutmeg, salt, pepper and 300 ml (3 pint) water; bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 50 minutes.
4. Mix the flour with 50 g (2 oz) butter, pour on some of the stock from the pan to make a thick gravy, return this to the pan, stir well and simmer for 5 minutes.
5. Beat the yolks, add the wine, the lemon rind and pour over the hot, but not boiling, fricassee.
6. Stir well and serve.
1 person has helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!