350 g (12 oz) queen scallops, fresh or frozen, thawed
2 level tsp (10 ml) Chinese sweet chilli sauce
4 oz (100 g) carrots, scrubbed
3 celery sticks
1 tbsp (15 ml) dry sherry
1 tbsp (15 ml) soy sauce
1 tsp (5 ml) tomato puree (paste)
2 tbsp (30 ml) corn oil
1 tsp (5 ml) grated fresh root ginger
1 tbsp (15 ml) chopped spring onion
1. Mix the scallops with the chilli sauce and set aside.
2. Cut the carrots and celery into thin matchsticks.
3. Mix the sherry, soy sauce and tomato puree with 30 ml (2 tbsp) water.
4. Heat half the oil in a large frying pan or wok.
5. Add the carrot and celery and stir-fry over a high heat for 1 minute.
6. Remove vegetables from pan with a slotted spoon and set aside.
7. Heat the remaining oil in the pan, then add the ginger and spring onion and stir-fry briefly over high heat.
8. Add the scallops and turn them in the oil to seal them on all sides.
9. Lower the heat to medium, add the soy sauce mixture to the pan and stir well.
10. Return the vegetables to the pan and stir well.
11. Stir-fry for 3-4 minutes, until the scallops feel firm.
12. Serve the dish hot.
8 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!