8 oz (225 g) broccoli, in florets
1 lb (450 g) spinach, trimmed and rinsed
8 oz (225 g) fresh tagliatelle
20 g (3/4 oz) polyunsaturated margarine
4 level tsp (20 ml) plain flour (All purpose)
400 ml (14 fl oz) semi-skimmed milk
3 oz (75 g) button mushrooms, sliced
salt and pepper, to taste
3 oz (75 g) Edam cheese, grated
2 tbsp (30 ml) fresh wholemeal breadcrumbs
1 tbsp (15 ml) chopped fresh basil or oregano or 7.5 ml (1 1/2 tsp) dried
1. Lightly grease an ovenproof dish and set aside.
2. Blanch the broccoli in boiling water for 5 minutes. Drain, refresh in cold running water and drain again.
3. Cook the spinach in a covered saucepan with just the water clinging to the leaves for about 5 minutes, until just tender. Drain and press out excess moisture.
4. Meanwhile, put the tagliatelle in a saucepan of boiling water, cook for 4 minutes or until just tender. Drain.
5. Melt the margarine in a saucepan and stir in the flour. Cook over a gentle heat for 1 minute. Stir in the milk off the heat, then bring to the boil. Lower the heat and add the mushrooms and seasoning and simmer for 3 minutes.
6. Spread the spinach in the base of the ovenproof dish. Stir the broccoli and tagliatelle into the sauce with half the cheese, then spoon over the spinach.
7. Sprinkle with the breadcrumbs, herbs and remaining cheese.
8. Bake at 190°C (375°F) mark 5 for 30 35 minutes, until bubbling and golden.
9. Serve immediately.
19 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!