4 chicken breasts, about 175 g (6 oz) each, skinned, boned and cut into bite-sized pieces
2 level tbsp plain wholemeal flour
2 onions, skinned and chopped
175 g (6 oz) button mushrooms, thinly sliced
2 tsp (10 ml) dried mixed herbs
2 tbsp (30 ml) finely chopped fresh parsley
salt and pepper, to taste
2 lb (900 g) floury potatoes, scrubbed and thinly sliced
1 1/4 cup (300 ml) 1/2 pint dry cider
1 1/4 cup (300 ml) 1/2 pint chicken or vegetable stock
parsley sprig, to garnish
1. Toss the chicken in the flour and place in a casserole.
2. Cover with the onions, mushrooms, herbs, chopped parsley and seasoning.
3. Arrange the potato slices neatly over the top, then pour over the cider and stock.
4. The potatoes should be just covered with the liquid. Add extra stock if necessary
5. Cover and cook at 190°C (375°F) mark 5 for 1 hour.
6. Remove cover and cook for a further 15 minutes, until browned on top.
7. Serve hot, garnished with a parsley sprig.
21 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!