1/3 cup (50 g) 2 oz plain wholemeal flour
5/8 cup (65 g) plain flour
1 tbls (15 g) 1/2 oz buckwheat flour
2 eggs, size 3
1 1/4 cup (1/2 pint) 300 ml semi-skimmed milk
1 tsp (5 ml) sunflower oil
corn oil, for frying
vanilla ice cream, to serve
blackberries and apple slices, to decorate
for the fruit sauce
2 eating apples, cored and diced
8 oz (225 g) blackberries, thawed if frozen
2 tbsp (25 g) 1 oz light muscovado sugar
2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) ground cinnamon
1. To make the batter, put the flours in a blender or food processor. Add the eggs, milk and sunflower oil.
2. Blend until smooth. Pour into a bowl, cover and leave to rest for at least 30 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, combine the sauce ingredients in a small saucepan.
4. Add 75 ml (5 tbsp) of water and bring to the boil.
5. Stir and cook gently, covered for 5 minutes, until the fruit is soft.
6. Sieve the sauce into a bowl, then return to a clean saucepan and set aside while making the pancakes.
7. To cook the pancakes, lightly oil an 18 cm (7 inch) frying pan and heat.
8. Using a small ladle, pour enough batter into the pan until the base is just covered, tilting the pan to spread the batter evenly.
9. Cook each side over a high heat for about 1 minute.
10. Place on a plate lined with absorbent kitchen paper.
11. Continue making pancakes until all the batter is used.
12. Stack them on top of each other and keep warm in a low oven.
13. Reheat the sauce. Place a scoop of ice cream on one half of each pancake and fold over.
14. Pour about 15 ml (1 tbsp) sauce on each pancake and serve.
6 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!