12 fresh mussels
1 onion, skinned and thinly sliced
2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
1 garlic clove, skinned and crushed
1 lb (450 g) tomatoes, skinned, seeded and chopped
1 1/4 cup (1/2 pint) 300 ml dry white wine
450 ml (3/4 pint) fish stock
1 tbsp (15 ml) chopped fresh dill or 1 tsp (5 ml) dill weed
2 tsp (10 ml) chopped fresh rosemary or 1 tsp (5 ml) dried
1 tbsp (15 ml) tomato puree (paste)
salt and pepper, to taste
1 lb (450 g) monkfish fillet, skinned and cut into large chunks
4 jumbo prawns, peeled
8 oz (225 g) squid, cleaned and cut into rings
1. To clean the mussels, put in a large bowl and scrape well under cold running water. Discard any that are open.
2. Rinse until there is no trace of sand in the bowl.
3. In a large saucepan or flameproof casserole, gently cook the onion in the olive oil for 3 - 4 minutes.
4. Add the garlic and tomatoes and cook for a further 3-4 minutes.
5. Add the white wine, stock, herbs, tomato puree and seasoning and bring to the boil.
6. Lower the heat and simmer for a further 5 minutes.
7. Add the monkfish and simmer for 5 minutes.
8. Add the prawns and squid and simmer for a further 5 minutes.
9. Add the prepared mussels, cover the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes, until the shells open.
10. Discard any of the mussels that do not open.
11. Ladle the stew into individual bowls and serve at once.
2 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!
Also see categories;Stews