1/4 cup (50 g) 2 oz golden granulated sugar
6 kiwi fruit, plus 1, sliced, to decorate
2 egg whites
1. Chill a shallow freezer container.
2. Place the sugar in a heavy saucepan and pour over 150 ml (1/4 pint) water.
3. Warm over a low heat until the sugar has dissolved, then simmer for 2 minutes to form a syrup.
4. Remove from the heat and leave to cool for 30 minutes.
5. Thinly peel the kiwi fruit and halve.
6. Place in a blender or food processor with the syrup and puree, then pass through a nylon sieve to remove the pips.
7. Freeze for 2 hours, or until the mixture is half-frozen.
8. Whisk the egg whites until just stiff, then fold into the half-frozen syrup until it is an even texture.
9. Cover the freezer container and freeze for 4 hours, until firm.
10. Remove from the freezer just before serving.
11. Spoon into glasses and decorate with slices of kiwi fruit.