175 g (6 oz) dried red kidney beans, soaked overnight and drained
2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
2 large onions, skinned and chopped
2 garlic cloves, skinned and crushed
1 fresh green chili, seeded and chopped
1 tsp (5 ml) dried oregano
2.5 - 5 ml (1/2 - 1 tsp) mild chilli powder
2 tsp (10 ml) ground cumin
7.5 cm (3 inch) cinnamon stick
1 bay leaf
1 1/2 lb (700 g) lean chuck steak, trimmed of all fat and cut into 2.5 cm (1 inch) cubes
400 g (14 oz) can tomatoes
1 tbsp (15 ml) tomato puree (paste)
1/2 tsp (2.5 ml) dark muscovado sugar
2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) malt vinegar
2 tbsp (30 ml) chopped fresh coriander
salt and pepper, to taste
coriander sprig, to garnish
1. Place the beans in a large saucepan and cover with cold water.
2. Bring to the boil and boil rapidly for 10 minutes. Drain, cover with fresh water and simmer for 50 minutes or until tender.
3. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a flameproof casserole and cook the onions for 5 minutes, until softened.
4. Add the garlic, green chili, oregano, chili powder, cumin, cinnamon and bay leaf and cook for 1 - 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
5. Add the meat to the casserole and cook for 5-6 minutes, until browned on all sides.
6. Stir in the remaining ingredients with 150 ml (1/4 pint) water. Bring to the boil.
7. Drain the beans and add to the casserole, then cover tightly and cook at 170°C (325°F) mark 3 for 2-2 1/2 hours, until the meat is tender.
8. Garnish with a coriander sprig.
26 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!