175 g (6 oz) smoked trout, skinned
175 g (6 oz) natural Quark
10 - 15 ml (2-3 tsp) horseradish
pepper, to taste
4 large lemons
2 tsp (10 ml) powdered gelatine
2 egg whites
2 tbsp (30 ml) finely chopped fresh parsley, to garnish
8 triangles of hot wholemeal toast, to serve
1. Flake the trout and discard all the bones, Put the flesh in a bowl with the Quark, horseradish and seasoning. Mix well, then set aside.
2. Cut the lemons in half lengthways. Scoop out all the flesh, pips and pith into a sieve and press to extract the juice.
3. Reserve the lemon shells.
4. Sprinkle the gelatine over 60 ml (4 tbsp) lemon juice in a small bowl.
5. Soak for 1 minute, then place over a saucepan of hot water and stir until the gelatine has dissolved.
6. Stir the gelatine liquid into the trout mixture.
7. Whisk the egg whites until stiff, then fold into the mousse until evenly incorporated.
8. Chill for about 45 minutes or until the mousse just holds its shape, then spoon into the reserved lemon shells.
9. Chill for a further 2 hours, until firm.
10. Sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley and serve with the hot toast.
1 person has helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!