1/2 stick (4 Tbsp) 2 oz (50 g) butter
4 oz (100 g) onions, skinned and finely chopped
1 garlic clove, skinned and finely chopped (optional)
396 g (14 oz) can tomatoes, with juice
2 tbsp (30 ml) Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp (15 ml) honey
salt and freshly ground pepper
4 oz (100 g) long grain rice
4 chicken drumsticks
mushrooms, tomatoes and Watercress (salad cress) to garnish
1. To make the barbecue sauce, combine the butter, onions, garlic (if used), tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, honey and plenty of salt and freshly ground pepper in a saucepan. Gently cook for 30 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, cook the rice in a saucepan of fast boiling salted water until tender, but not soft. Set aside and keep hot.
3. Place the chicken drumsticks in the grill pan and brush liberally with the barbecue sauce.
4. Grill for 10 minutes on each side, brushing frequently with more sauce.
5. Serve on a bed of rice garnished with grilled mushrooms and tomatoes and sprigs of watercress.
6. Serve remaining sauce separately.
20 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!