1. Remove the leaves and the larger stems, and wash the fruit if necessary.
2. Put the fruit in a preserving pan, without any water, and heat very gently for about 45 minutes or until the currants are softened and well cooked.
3. Mash, then strain the pulp through a scalded jelly bag.
4. Leave it to drip for 1 hour.
5. Measure the extract, and return it to the cleaned pan.
6. Add 1 kg sugar for each litre of extract.
7. Bring to the boil, stirring all the time, then boil, without stirring, for 1 minute.
8. Skim the jelly quickly, and immediately pour it into warmed jars, before it has a chance to set in the pan.
9. Cover and label.