serves 4 - 6
750 ml clear lemon jelly
green food colouring red food colouring
for the decoration
125 ml (4 fl oz) double cream (heavy cream)
for the clear lemon jelly
750 ml water
2/3 cup (150 g) 5 oz sugar
1 X 2.5 cm piece cinnamon stick
40 g gelatine
whites and shells of 2 eggs
to make clear lemon jelly
1. Pare the rind from three of the lemons and squeeze the juice from all four.
2. Make up the juice to 250 ml with water, if necessary.
3. Put the rind, juice, water, sugar, cloves, cinnamon stick, and gelatine into a large saucepan.
4. Whisk the egg whites lightly, and crush the shells.
5. Whisk over low heat until just below boiling point.
6. Remove the whisk and allow the liquid to heat until it reaches the top of the pan.
7. Simmer for 5 minutes.
8. Remove from the heat and leave to stand for 5 - 10 minutes.
9. Strain the liquid carefully through a jelly bag.
10. Pour into a wetted mould and leave for 1-2 hours to set.
to make marble jelly
1. Line a mould with a thin layer of lemon jelly and leave to set.
2. Pour 100 ml of jelly into 3 basins and colour one red and one green, leaving the third basin with the lemon jelly.
3. Whisk each jelly until frothy and then leave to set.
4. With a small hot spoon, shape the jelly into balls and place round the mould, alternating the colours.
5. When one layer is filled, cover with a little of the remaining lemon jelly and leave to set.
6. Repeat until the mould is filled, finishing with a layer of clear jelly.
7. Leave for 2-3 hours to set.
8. Whip the cream until thick.
9. Turn out the jelly on to a serving plate and decorate with whipped cream.