serves 4 - 6
2 tbsp (25 g) 1 oz brown sugar
2 cups (500 ml) milk
1 tsp vanilla essence
4 tsp spoons gelatine
3 tbls cold water
for the filling
375g chopped fresh fruit or 1 X 425 g can fruit, well drained
1. Separate the eggs.
2. Beat the yolks, sugar and milk together.
3. Pour into the top of a double boiler and cook until the custard coats the back of a spoon, stirring all the time. Do not allow the custard to boil.
4. Add the essence.
5. Soften the gelatine in the water in a small heatproof container.
6. Stand the container in a pan of hot water and stir until dissolved, then pour into the custard. Leave to cool.
7. Whisk the egg whites until just stiff and fold into the custard when it is just beginning to set.
8. Pour into a wetted 1 litre ring mould and leave for 2-3 hours to set.
9. Turn out on to a serving plate and fill the centre with fruit.
10 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!