Gazpacho is a traditional chilled Spanish soup; this recipe makes use of chicken or vegetable stock and wholemeal croutons.
8 oz (225 g) tomatoes, seeded and finely diced
1/3 cucumber, peeled, seeded and finely diced
1 onion, skinned and chopped
1 small green pepper, cored, seeded and diced
1 small red pepper, cored, seeded and diced
1 garlic clove, skinned and finely chopped
450 ml (3/4 pint) tomato juice, chilled
2/3 cup (150 ml) 1/4 pt chicken or vegetable stock, chilled
1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil
3 tbsp (60 ml) red wine vinegar
few drops Tabasco sauce
salt and pepper, to taste
1 tbsp (15 ml) chopped fresh chives or mint
2 slices wholemeal bread, toasted and cubed, and ice cubes, to serv
1. Reserve about a quarter of the tomatoes, cucumber, onion and peppers for the garnish.
2. Place the remaining vegetables in a blender or food processor with the garlic and tomato juice and blend until smooth.
3. Add the stock, oil, vinegar and Tabasco sauce and blend well. Season.
4. Pour into a bowl, cover and chill for about 30 minutes.
5. Stir the soup and sprinkle with the fresh herbs.
6. Serve with the reserved vegetables, wholemeal croutons and ice cubes in separate bowls, to be added to the soup as desired.
3 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!