8 chicken legs, each weighing 150 g (5 oz)
2 garlic cloves
1 small fresh red chilli
1 cup (8 fl oz) 250 ml dry white wine
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp mixed herbs
Pinch freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp salt
6 tbsp olive oil
1. Peel garlic and chop finely. Remove stem and seeds from chilli, wash and dry it, then cut into fine rings. Combine with garlic, wine, mustard, herbs and pepper to make the marinade.
2. Wash and dry chicken legs, rub well with salt and place in a flat oven proof dish. Pour marinade over chicken, cover dish and put in refrigerator to marinate for 3 hours. Turn legs several times during marinating.
3. Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F) Gas Mark 6 Take chicken legs out of dish, pouring marinade into another container. Brush chicken with oil and return to original dish. Place in centre of oven and roast for 45 minutes, basting with marinade several times.
4. After 35 minutes switch oven to 240°C (475°F) Gas mk 9, move chicken up to top shelf and cook there for last 10 minutes so that the chicken legs turn a crisp golden brown.
5. Allow chicken to cool and serve coated with remaining marinade.