1 lb (450 g) lean pork, cubed
1 lb (450 g) lean ham, cubed
1 tbsp (15 ml) finely chopped onion
2/3 cup (150 ml) 1/4 pt thick white sauce
salt and pepper
pinch of dried rosemary
thinly cut rashers of back bacon, rinded
1. Mince the pork, ham and onion twice.
2. Blend these ingredients very thoroughly with the white sauce, egg, seasoning and rosemary. Shape into a roll on a floured surface.
3. Lay the rashers of bacon overlapping each other on a piece of greased foil so that they will well cover the surface of the roll. Lay the pork mixture over the rashers,
4. reshape the roll in the foil, fold the foil over and seal the edges tightly.
5. Boil gently for 2 1/2 hours in water to which a little vinegar and salt have been added. (A saucer or similar shallow utensil, placed on the base of the pan, will prevent the roll from coming directly in contact with the metal.)
Remove the roll from the pan, leave to cool and remove the foil.
6. Serve with the attractive pattern of the bacon uppermost.For a special effect,
7. glaze with a thin coating of aspic jelly and garnish with sliced radish.
17 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!