3/4 stick (6 Tbsp) 75 g butter or margarine
1/4 cup (50 g) 2 oz caster sugar (superfine granulated)
175 g digestive biscuits, finely crushed
pinch of ground Mixed Spice (All Spice / Pumpkin pie spice)
for the filling
225 g curd or sieved cottage cheese
3 eggs, separated
1/2 tsp ground Mixed Spice (All Spice / Pumpkin pie spice)
1/2 cup (100 g) 4 oz caster sugar (superfine granulated)
grated rind and juice of 1/2 lemon
1 large cooking apple, peeled, cored and grated
3/8 cup (40 g) plain flour (All purpose)
75 g Cheddar cheese, grated
6 tbsp soured cream
for the topping
300 ml sweetened apple puree
2/3 cup (150 ml) 1/4 pt double or whipping cream, stiffly whipped
wedges of eating apple
Preheat an oven to 160°C, 325°F, gas mark 3.
1. Melt the butter or margarine and sugar in a saucepan over a gentle heat and stir in the biscuit crumbs and spice.
2. Press evenly over the bottom of a greased loose-bottomed 18-20 cm/7-8 inch round cake tin. Chill while you make the filling.
3. Soften the cheese in a large mixing bowl. Beat in the egg yolks, spice, 50 g (2 oz) of the caster sugar, the lemon rind and juice, grated apple, flour, grated cheese and soured cream.
4. Whisk the egg whites until stiff, then whisk in the remaining caster sugar.
5. Fold lightly but thoroughly into the cheese mixture.
6. Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and smooth the surface.
7. Bake in a preheated oven for 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 hours or until firm but still spongy to the touch.
8. Turn off the oven, open the door and leave the cheesecake to cool in the oven for 1 hour.
9. Ease the sides of the tin carefully away from the cheesecake and lift the cheesecake out on the tin base.
10. Spread the apple puree over the top of the cheesecake. Pipe the cream decoratively on top and decorate with wedges of apple.
11. Chill for 2-3 hours before serving.