shortcrust pastry made with 100 g plain flour
for the filling
1 small cauliflower, or 1/2 larger one, divided into florets
grated rind and juice of 1/2 lemon
275g curd or sieved cottage cheese
3 eggs, separated
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
2 level tbsp plain flour (All purpose)
6 tbsp soured cream
freshly ground black pepper
for the topping
2/3 cup (150 ml) 1/4 pt double or whipping cream, lightly whipped
3 tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley
Preheat an oven to 160°C, 325°F, gas mark 3.
1. Roll out the dough and use to line the bottom of a greased loose-bottomed 18 - 20 cm/7-8 inch cake tin.
2. To make the filling; cook the cauliflower in a pan of boiling water with the lemon juice and 1 x 5 ml spoon/ 1 teaspoon salt until tender.
3. Drain the cooked cauliflower thoroughly and mash to a puree.
4. Soften the cheese in a large mixing bowl.
5. Beat in the egg yolks, grated lemon rind, chopped parsley, flour, soured cream, the mashed cauliflower and salt and pepper to taste.
6. Whisk the egg whites until stiff and fold lightly but thoroughly into the cheese mixture.
7. Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and smooth the surface level.
8. Bake in a preheated oven for 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 hours or until firm but still spongy to the touch.
9. Ease the sides of the tin carefully away from the cheesecake and lift the hot cooked cheesecake out on the tin base.
10. To serve hot, top the cheesecake with the whipped cream and garnish with criss-cross ribbons of chopped parsley.
11. To serve cold, chill the cooked cheesecake and then top with the cream and parsley garnish.
4 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!