3/4 stick (6 Tbsp) 75 g butter or margarine
3 tbsp apricot jam
1/3 cup (75 g) 3oz caster sugar (superfine granulated)
225 g digestive biscuits, finely crushed
for the filling
450 g curd or sieved cottage cheese
6 eggs, separated
3/4 cup (175 g) 6 oz sugar
5/8 cup (60 g) plain flour (All purpose)
6 tbsp apricot jam
300 ml double or whipping cream
for the topping
2 egg whites
1/2 cup (100 g) 4 oz caster sugar (superfine granulated)
1 X 425 g (15 oz) apricot halves, drained
Oven: 160°C, 325°F, Gas Mark 3
1. Melt the butter or margarine, jam and sugar in a saucepan over a gentle heat and stir in the biscuit crumbs.
2. Press evenly over the bottom of a greased loose-bottomed 25-30 cm/10-12 inch round cake tin. Chill while you make the filling.
3. Soften the cheese in a large mixing bowl. Beat in the egg yolks, 75 g/3 oz of the sugar, the flour, apricot jam and cream.
4. Whisk the egg whites until stiff, then whisk in the remaining sugar.
5. Fold lightly but thoroughly into the cheese mixture.
6. Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and smooth the surface level.
7. Bake in a preheated oven for 1 1/4 hours. Meanwhile, prepare the topping.
8. Whisk the egg whites until stiff, then whisk in 50 g/2 oz of the sugar. Fold in the remaining sugar.
9. Top the cheesecake with the apricot halves and spread the meringue over the top.
10. Return to the oven and continue baking for a further 25-30 minutes.
11. If serving the cheesecake hot, ease the sides of the tin carefully away from the cheesecake and lift the cooked cheesecake out on the tin base.
2 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!