3/4 stick (6 Tbsp) 75 g butter or margarine
2 tbsp (25 g) 1 oz brown sugar
175 g chocolate-coated digestive biscuits, finely crushed
for the filling
100 g plain chocolate
275 g full fat soft cheese
3 eggs, separated
1 tsp gravy browning
1/4 cup (50 g) 2 oz soft brown sugar
2 level tbsp plain flour (All purpose)
2/3 cup (150 ml) 1/4 pt soured cream
1/4 cup (50 g) 2 oz caster sugar (superfine granulated)
for the topping
1 cup (225 g) 1/2 lb granulated sugar
2/3 cup (150 ml) 1/4 pt water
175 g plain chocolate
1/2 stick (4 Tbsp) 50 g butter
1. Preheat an oven to 160°C, 325°F, gas mark 3.
2. Melt the butter or margarine and sugar in a saucepan over a gentle heat.
3. Stir in the biscuit crumbs. Press evenly over the bottom of a greased loose-bottomed 18-20 cm/7-8 inch round cake tin. Chill while you make the filling.
4. Break the chocolate into pieces and put into a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of hot water. Stir over a gentle heat until the chocolate has melted. Remove from the heat.
5. Soften the cheese in a large mixing bowl. Beat in the egg yolks, gravy browning, soft brown sugar, flour, soured cream and melted chocolate.
6. Whisk the egg whites until stiff, then whisk in the caster sugar. Fold lightly but thoroughly into the cheese mixture.
7. Spoon the mixture into the tin and smooth the surface.
8. Bake in a preheated oven for 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 hours or until firm but still spongy to the touch.
9. Turn off the oven, open the door and leave the cheesecake to cool in the oven for 1 hour.
10. To make the topping, put the sugar and water into a saucepan and stir over a gentle heat until the sugar has dissolved. Bring to the boil and boil gently until syrupy. Remove from the heat and add the chocolate broken into small pieces. Beat to melt the chocolate. Add the butter and beat until the frosting is thick, smooth and glossy.
11. Ease the sides of the tin carefully away from the cheesecake and lift the cheesecake out on the tin base.
12. Swirl the chocolate frosting over the top and sides of the cheesecake.
13. Chill for 2-3 hours before serving.
14 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!