4 lamb cutlets, trimmed
30 ml (2 level tbsp) fresh breadcrumbs
salt and freshly ground pepper
2 oz (50 g) Cheddar cheese, finely grated
1/2 stick (4 Tbsp) 2 oz (50 g) butter
4 onions, skinned and sliced
1 1/4 cup (1/2 pint) 300 ml milk
3 tbls (25 g) 1 oz flour
2 tbsp (30 ml) fresh cream
1. Wash and dry the cutlets. Grill in ovenproof dish, on one side.
2. Meanwhile, mix together breadcrumbs, seasoning and grated cheese.
3. Turn cutlets and top with crumb mixture, dot with 25 g (1 oz) butter and continue to grill until thoroughly cooked.
4. While the cutlets are cooking, boil the onions in the milk.
5. Melt the remaining butter in a pan, stir in the flour and cook gently for 1 minute.
6. Remove the pan from the heat and gradually stir in the onions and milk.
7. Bring to the boil and continue to cook, stirring, until the sauce thickens, then stir in the fresh cream and season to taste.
8. Pour the sauce over the cutlets, or serve separately.