350 g (12 oz) black or dark red cherries, stoned (seeded)
2 tbsp (30 ml) cherry-flavoured liqueur
3 eggs, separated
2/3 cup (150 g) 5 oz caster sugar (superfine granulated)
finely grated rind and juice of 2 lemons
15 ml (3 level tsp) gelatine
2/3 cup (150 ml) 1/4 pt fresh whipping cream
mimosa balls and angelica to decorate
1. Divide the cherries between six individual glass dishes. Spoon a little liqueur over each.
2. Place the egg yolks in a deep bowl, add the caster sugar and lemon rind and whisk until thick.
3. Add 75 ml (5 tbsp) strained lemon juice and continue whisking until thick.
4. Soak the gelatine in 45 ml (3 tbsp) water in a small bowl. Dissolve by standing the bowl over a pan of hot water. Stir into the lemon mixture.
5. Whip the cream until softly stiff. Whisk the egg whites until stiff. Fold the fresh cream and egg whites into the lemon mixture.
6. Spoon the mixture into the glasses and refrigerate to set. Decorate with mimosa balls and angelica.