4 1/2 cups (450 g) 1 lb plain flour (All purpose)
1/2 level tsp (2.5 ml) salt
1/2 oz (15 g) fresh yeast, or 7.5 g (1/4 oz) dried yeast
2/3 cup (150 ml) 1/4 pt tepid milk
1 tsp (5 ml) caster sugar (superfine granulated)
strawberry or raspberry jam and 2/3 cup (150 ml) 1/4 pt fresh double cream (heavy cream) to serve
1/2 stick (2 oz) butter
1. Sieve the flour and salt into a bowl.
2. Blend the fresh yeast with a little of the milk and the sugar. If using dried yeast, spinkle it into a little of the milk and the sugar and leave in a warm place for 15 minutes until frothy.
3. Melt the butter in the remaining milk and 1 50 ml (1/4 pint) of lukewarm water.
4. Make a well in the centre of the flour and add the dissolved yeast and the melted butter mixture. Mix to a dough. Leave to prove in a warm place for 1 hour.
5. Divide mixture into 1 2 pieces and knead each into a ball. Flatten into a round 1 -cm (1/2inch) thick. Place on a buttered and floured baking sheet and leave to prove for 20 minutes in a warm place.
6. Brush with milk and bake in the oven at 230°C (450°F) mark 8 for 15 minutes. Cut through and spread with jam. Whip the fresh cream until stiff and pipe inside the splits. Serve warm.
11 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!