3 Tbsp (40 g) butter
1 medium onion, skinned and sliced
1 1/2 lb (700 g) parsnips, peeled and finely diced
1 level tsp (5 ml) curry powder
1/2 level tsp (2.5 ml) ground cumin
1.4 litres (2 1/2 pints) chicken stock
salt and freshly ground pepper
2/3 cup (150 ml) 1/4 pt fresh single cream
paprika to garnish
1. Heat the butter in the base of a large pan and fry the onion and parsnip together for about 3 minutes.
2. Stir in the curry powder and cumin and fry for a further 2 minutes.
3. Add the stock, bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer covered for about 45 minutes, until the vegetables are tender.
4. Cool slightly, then use a perforated draining spoon to place the vegetables in a blender, add a little stock; puree until smooth.
5. Return to the pan. Adjust seasoning, add the fresh cream and reheat to serving temperature but do not boil. Serve sprinkled with paprika.