4 oz (100 g) haricot beans
1 kg (2 1/2 lb) best end of neck or breast of lamb in a piece
2 tbsp (30 ml) oil
2 onions, skinned and sliced
1 turnip, pared and sliced
1 level tsp (5 ml) salt
1 tbsp (15 ml) Worcestershire sauce
1. Soak the beans overnight in cold water.
2. Cut the meat into serving-size pieces, trimming off any excess fat, and fry it in the hot oil for 2-3 minutes, until browned.
3. Add the onions and turnip and fry for a further 2-3 minutes. Pour on just sufficient boiling water to cover the meat.
4. Add the drained beans, salt and pepper, cover with a lid and simmer for 2-2 1/2 hours, or cook in the oven at 170°C (325°F) mark 3 for 2 1/2-3 hours.
5. Stir in the Worcestershire sauce just before serving.