2 turkey thighs, skinned
1/2 fresh mango
4 oz (110 g) celeriac or celery, blanched and cut into strips
fresh chopped parsley
1 tbsp fresh wholemeal breadcrumbs
1/2 pt (280 ml) turkey stock
pinch of saffron
for the garnish
sliced or shredded leeks,
steamed or stir-fried puree of sweet potatoes and carrots flavoured with cardamom seeds
1. Cut a slit down the length of the thigh and carefully remove the bone, scraping all the flesh away. Open out the resulting square and flatten it with a rolling pin. Remove as many sinews as possible. Prepare the other piece in the same way.
2. Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F, gas mark 5.
3. Peel the mango and cut into long strips. Lay the mango and blanched celeriac down the middle of the boned thigh.
4. Mix the parsley, breadcrumbs and seasoning with enough stock to moisten. Divide between the two boned thighs and press it down over the mango and celeriac.
5. Roll up each piece of meat and tie round in four places with kitchen string. Place the two rolls in a roasting bag and seal.Place the rolls in the oven for 35 minutes.
6. Remove carefully from the roasting bag, pouring the cooking juices into the turkey stock. Keep the meat warm while you finish the sauce.
7. Reduce the stock by half and strain on to the saffron in a small clean saucepan. Reduce further until syrupy.
8. Remove the string from the rolls and slice each into five or six rounds.
9. Arrange on heated dinner plates, with the leeks, the sauce and a little puree of sweet potato, carrot and cardamom.
11 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!