1. slice the belly of pork, chop the duck legs (leaving the meat on the bones for flavour) and put the two meats together with the duck skin and fat, in a casserole. Add the salt, pepper, nutmeg, bay leaf, sage and the water.
2. Cook at the bottom of the oven for 3-4 hours, on a very low heat, until all the fat has melted and the meat is cooked.
3. Place a sieve over a basin. Discard the bones and any skin from the casserole and ladle some of the remaining meat and fat into the sieve.
4. Take a fork in each hand and pull the meat apart - it should finish up in shreds, with most of the fat in the basin.
5. Pack the rillettes loosely into a jar, pot or pate dish and add a little of the melted fat. Continue until all the meat has been shredded and potted and all the fat poured around it; the top should have a good layer of fat to seal it once refrigerated.
Serve with hot toast or crusty fresh bread.