6 chicken joints
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 stick (2 oz) 50 g butter
1 tbsp oil
1 onion, sliced
2 tbsp plain flour (All purpose)
1 1/4 cup (1/2 pint) 300 ml chicken stock
1 lemon, peeled and sliced
2 bay leaves
1 tsp sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C) Gas Mk 5.
2. Wipe the chicken joints and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
3. Heat the butter and oil in a frying pan and fry the joints quickly until golden brown all over.
4. Transfer to a casserole.
5. Add the onion to the frying pan and cook for about 5 minutes until soft.
6. Sprinkle in the flour and cook for 1 minute.
7. Pour in the stock and bring to the boil, stirring.
8. Add the lemon, bay leaves, seasoning and sugar.
9. Pour over the chicken.
10. Cover and cook in the oven for about 45 minutes until the chicken is cooked.
11. Remove the lid 15 minutes before the end of cooking time so that the joints brown.
5 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!