2 tbsp (25 g) 1 oz butter
1 small onion, skinned and finely chopped
1 tsp flour
30 ml (2 level tbsp) curry powder
1 tsp (5 ml) tomato puree (paste)
1/2 level tsp (2.5 ml) salt
1/4 level tsp (1.25 ml) caster sugar (superfine granulated)
1 level tbsp (15 ml) apricot jam
2/3 cup (150 ml) 1/4 pt mayonnaise
2/3 cup (150 ml) 1/4 pt fresh single cream
juice of 1/2 lemon
225 - 350 g (8 - 12 oz) peeled prawns
1. Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the onion and saute very gently without browning for about 5 minutes until soft.
2. Stir in the flour and curry powder, and fry for 2-3 minutes. Stir in the tomato puree diluted with 60 ml (4 tbsp) water, together with salt, caster sugar and apricot jam.
3. Bring to the boil and simmer gently for about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and strain the mixture into a basin.
4. Allow to cool. Stir in the mayonnaise, fresh cream and lemon juice.
5. Add the prawns to the sauce and serve with a rice salad.