makes 2 loaves
3 cups (330 g) flour
2 tsp Bicarbonate of soda (Baking soda)
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp freshly grated or ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp salt
60 g (2 oz) porridge oats
120 g (4 oz) chopped walnuts or pecans, lightly toasted
1 lb (500 g) fresh or tinned pumpkin
3 eggs lightly beaten, 1 1/2 cup (300 g) caster sugar (superfine granulated)
1 3/4 cup (300 g) light brown sugar
120 ml (4 fl oz) sunflower or vegetable oil
120 ml (4 fl oz) milk
120 ml (4 fl oz) evaporated milk
for the orange-lemon butter
1 cup (250 g) 8 oz unsalted butter, softened
grated rind of 1 orange
1 - 2 tbsp orange juice
grated rind of 1 lemon
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
3/8 cup (85 g) 3 oz caster sugar (superfine granulated) (or to taste)
1. Pre-heat the oven to 350°F (175°C) gas mark 4.
2. Grease and flour 2 loaf tins; 22 x 13 cm (9 x 5 inch) in diameter.
3. Sift the flour, bicarbonate, cinnamon, ginger nutmeg, cloves and salt into a large bowl. Stir the oats and chopped nuts into the mixture.
4. Put the pumpkin flesh in a large bowl and beat on low speed to break up with an electric mixer.
5. Gradually beat in the eggs until smooth.
6. Beat in the sugars, oil and milks until smooth.
7. On low speed, beat the flour mixture into the pumpkin-egg mixture until just blended.
8. Divide the mixture equally between the two tins, smoothing the tops evenly.
9. Bake until risen, dark golden and a knife inserted in the centre comes out clean.
10. Transfer the tins to a wire rack to cool, about 15 minutes, then unmould. Place top-side up onto the wire rack to cool completely. Wrap well, and leave to stand overnight for the flavours to develop.
11. Serve with orange-lemon butter (as below).
to make orange-lemon butter
1. Beat all the ingredients together in a medium bowl, using an electric mixer; until light and fluffy.
2. Scrape on to a piece of clingfilm or greaseproof paper, and shape into a log.
3. Wrap tightly and refrigerate until firm, about 1 to 2 hours.
4. Slice into rounds and serve.