1 lb (450 g) pork, minced
1 clove garlic, skinned and crushed
4 level tbsps (60 ml) plain flour (All purpose)
3/4 cup (50 g) fresh white breadcrumbs
salt and pepper
1 egg yolk
25 g (1 oz) lard
for the sauce
1/3 cup (65 g) sugar
60 ml (4 tbsps) cider vinegar
3 tbsp (45 ml) soy sauce
2 level tbsp cornflour (cornstarch)
1 1/4 cup (1/2 pint) 300 ml water
1 green pepper, blanched and cut in thin strips
225 g (1/2 lb) tomatoes, skinned and quartered
312 g (11 oz) can crushed pineapple
1. Mix the pork, garlic, 15 ml (1 level tbsp) of the flour,the breadcrumbs, salt and pepper; add the egg yolk and mix well.
2. Form into 24 balls and toss in the remaining flour.
3. Heat the lard in a frying pan, add the balls and fry gently for 20 minutes, turning them frequently until golden.
4. Meanwhile, put the sugar, vinegar and soy sauce in a saucepan. Blend the cornflour with the water and add to the pan. Bring to the boil, stirring; simmer gently for 5 minutes, then add the green pepper, tomatoes and pineapple. Simmer for a further 5 minutes.
5. To serve, put the pork balls into a warmed casserole and pour the sauce over. Serve with fried rice and a green salad.
20 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!