750 g (1 1/2 lb) gooseberries, thawed if frozen
1/2 cup (125 g) 4 oz caster sugar (superfine granulated)
3 egg yolks
1 small avocado
315 ml (10 fl oz) 1 1/4 cups whipping cream
gooseberries, leaves or borage flowers, to decorate, if desired
1. Put gooseberries into a saucepan with 2 tablespoons water and cook over a low heat until soft.
2. Puree in a blender or food processor, then sieve to remove pips. Set aside to cool.
3. Put sugar into a saucepan with 2 tablespoons water, dissolve over medium heat, then boil syrup to thread stage, 110°C (225°F) on a sugar thermometer.
4. In a bowl, beat egg yolks lightly, then pour syrup pnto them and whisk until mixture is thick and mousse like.
5. Peel avocado, discard stone and mash flesh. Mix into gooseberry puree.
6. Whip cream and fold into egg mixture with puree.
7. Turn into rigid plastic container and freeze for 1-2 hours until beginning to be firm.
8. Remove from freezer and beat well. Freeze until firm.
9. Transfer to refrigerator to soften for 30 minutes before serving.
10. Serve in scoops in chilled glasses.
11. Decorate each one with gooseberries, leaves or borage flowers.
14 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!