300 g (12 oz) puff pastry
2 oz (50 g) boiled ham
1 egg, beaten
200 g (8 oz) cooked chicken meat
2 oz (50 g) button mushrooms, sliced
salt and paprika
for the white sauce
2 tbsp (25 g) 1 oz butter
1 1/4 cup (1/2 pint) 300 ml milk
3 tbls (25 g) 1 oz flour
1. Roll out the puff pastry to a thickness of 2 cm (3/4 in).
2. Cut into circles. In the centre of each circle mark a smaller round for the lid without cutting right through the pastry.
3. Brush with beaten egg and cook at 230°C, 450°F, mark 8 for 10 minutes.
4. Reduce the heat to 190°C, 375°F, mark 5 and continue to bake until brown and puffed.
5. Remove the lids, scoop out the centre and return to the oven for a minute or two to set.
6. Make the white sauce and add the chicken, ham, mushrooms and seasonings.
7. Spoon into the cases and serve immediately.
8. If the vol-au-vents are to be served cold, allow both sauce and cases to cool before filling.