2 cups (225 g) plain flour (All purpose)
1 tsp baking powder
2 oz (50 g) shredded suet or grated margarine
golden syrup (substitute light corn syrup)
6 oz (175 g) gooseberries, topped and tailed
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C) Gas Mk 5.
2. Mix together the flour and baking powder and stir in the suet or margarine.
3. Mix with sufficient cold water to form a stiff dough.
4. Roll out on a lightly floured board into an oblong shape and spread with the golden syrup.
5. Place a layer of gooseberries over the syrup leaving a border of about 1/2 inch (1 cm) around the edge.
6. Brush this border with water and roll up the pastry sealing the ends firmly.
7. Place in a large baking tin or dish and bake in the oven for 1 hour until cooked through and golden.
8. Serve hot with custard or cream.
7 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!