2 3/4 cups (21 fl oz) 600 ml tomato sauce
1 lb (450 g) rigatoni or cannelloni
1 tbsp finely chopped onion
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
2 tbsp oil
12 oz (350 g) lean minced beef
2 oz (50 g) Mozzarella cheese
3 oz (75 g) Mortadella sausage
2 oz (50 g) Cheddar cheese, grated
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Make the tomato sauce.
2. Cook the rigatoni in plenty of boiling salted water with a dash of oil until al dente.
3. Drain and cool. Fry the onion and garlic in the oil for about 2 minutes or until softened.
4. Add the mince and stir until browned all over.
5. Chop the cheese and Mortadella sausage and add to the beef. Stir well.
6. Remove from the heat, season well, and then leave to cool.
7. Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) Gas Mk 4. Fill the rigatoni by using a forcing bag, or split them, fill each half with the mince and put back together again.
8. Arrange the stuffed rigatoni in layers in a buttered ovenproof dish, spooning a little tomato sauce and grated cheese between each layer, and finishing with a layer of tomato sauce and cheese.
9. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Serve hot.