1 x 2 lb (900 g) marrow
1 tbsp oil
1 1/3 cup (100 g) mushrooms, chopped
1/2 cup (30 g) fresh breadcrumbs
2 tomatoes, skinned and chopped
1 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
8 oz (225 g) lean minced beef
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1 onion, chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) Gas Mk 4.
2. Slice the marrow crosswise into 2 inch (5 cm) rings.
3. Remove and discard the seeds.
4. Arrange the marrow rings in a lightly greased baking dish.
5. Heat the oil in a frying pan and cook the onion gently for 3 minutes, stirring from time to time.
6. Stir in the mushrooms and cook for 3 minutes.
7. Remove from the heat and mix thoroughly with the breadcrumbs, parsley, basil and salt and pepper to taste.
8. Meanwhile add the mince to the pan and fry until brown on all sides.
9. Add to the bowl and mix well.
10. Pile the mixture evenly into the centre of each of the marrow rings and cover the dish with foil.
11. Bake in the oven for 20-30 minutes until the marrow is just soft.
12. To vary this recipe, finely chopped cooked ham, cooked minced lamb or cooked minced chicken can be used in place of beef.
13. Serve with a spicy tomato sauce
27 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!