4 chicken quarters
1 small onion
1 tsp mixed herbs
1 1/2 chicken stock cubes
2 3/4 cups (21 fl oz) 600 ml water
6 oz (175 g) macaroni
for the sauce
8 fl oz (250 ml) milk
1/4 cup (1 oz) 30 g plain flour (All purpose)
2 tbsp (1 oz) 25 g butter
1 egg yolk, beaten
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Put the chicken quarters, whole onion, herbs and crumbled stock cubes in a large saucepan and pour in the water.
2. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, cover the pan and simmer for 45 minutes.
3. Remove from the heat, lift out the chicken quarters and carefully remove the flesh from the bones.
4. Discard the skin and bones.
5. Take 3/4 pt (450 ml) of the cooking liquid and make it up to 1 pt (600 ml) with water.
6. Pour this in to another saucepan, add the macaroni and bring to the boil.
7. Lower the heat and simmer for 12 - 15 minutes until the macaroni is tender.
8. Meanwhile, add the milk to the remaining chicken cooking liquid. Stir, then add the chicken flesh and simmer for 15 minutes.
9. Remove the chicken and keep hot.
10. Blend the butter and flour together until smooth and add a little at a time to the milk stock liquid, stirring constantly.
11. Add the egg yolk to the sauce. Cook over low heat until thick and season to taste with salt and pepper.
12. When the macaroni is cooked, drain and transfer to a serving dish.
13. Arrange the chicken on top and pour over the sauce. Serve at once.