1 lb (450 g) stewing steak
2 level tbsp seasoned flour
1 onion, skinned and sliced
3/4 cup (90 g) mushrooms
212 g (7 1/2 oz) packet frozen puff pastry, thawed
beaten egg to glaze
1. Wipe the meat, cut it into small, even pieces and coat with seasoned flour.
2. Put the meat and sliced onion into a pan and just cover with water.Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 1 1/2 - 2 hours or until the meat is tender. Alternatively, the meat can be cooked for 2 hours in a covered casserole in the oven at 170°C (325°F) mark 3.
3. Leave it to cool.
4. Put the meat and mushrooms into a 1 litre (2 pt) pie dish with enough of the gravy to half fill it.
5. Roll out the pastry 2.5 cm (1 in) larger than the top of the dish.
6. Cut off a 1 cm (1/2 in) strip from round the edge of the pastry and put this strip round the damped rim of the dish.
7. Damp the edges of the pastry with water and put on the top of the pie, without stretching the pastry trim if necessary and flake the edges.
8. Decorate if you wish and brush with beaten egg,
9. Bake in the oven at 220°C (425°F) mark 7 for 20 minutes. Reduce the heat to 180°C (350°F) mark 4 and cook for about a further 20 minutes.
20 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!