serves 6 - 8
500 g rhubarb, preferably forced rhubarb
250 ml (8 fl oz) thick pouring custard or double cream (heavy cream)
for the decoration
ratafias or whipped cream
1. Cook and puree the rhubarb (see below) in advance.
2. Peel and mash the bananas or puree in a blender.
3. Blend the two purees together and sweeten to taste.
4. Whip the cream, if used, until it just holds its shape; fold either the custard or the cream into the fruit puree.
5. Turn into a serving bowl and decorate with ratafias or piped whipped cream.
to cook the rhubarb
1. Rhubarb should be cooked in as little water as possible. About 3 - 4 tbsp should be enough for every 500 g.
2. Put the water in a heavy bottomed pan, add the fruit, cover, and simmer gently until the fruit is tender.
3. When cooked sieve or puree until smooth, and sweeten to taste.