enough to cover the top of one 18 cm cake
7/8 cup (100 g) icing sugar (confectioners sugar)
4 tsp water (approx)
1/2 tsp strained lemon or orange juice (optional)
1 tsp instant coffee
1. Sift the icing sugar.
2. Mix the coffee with 1 tbsp water, put into a small non-stick or enamel saucepan with the icing sugar.
3. Warm very gently, without making the pan too hot to touch on the underside.
4. Beat well with a wooden spoon.
5. The icing should coat the back of the spoon thickly. If it is too thick, add the extra 5ml water; if too thin add a very little extra sifted icing sugar.
6. Add colouring, if liked. Use at once.