Never overcook sprouts or they will discolour and become soggy.
To turn Brussels sprouts country style into a supper dish, add rashers of bacon to the onion and pepper mixture.
For a Special occasion add 100 ml (3 1/2 fl oz) soured cream to the Brussels sprouts country style. Stir in well before serving.
750 g (l 1/2 lb) Brussels sprouts
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 large onion, sliced
1 green pepper, deseeded and chopped
500 g (1 lb) tomatoes
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
freshly ground black pepper
1. Trim the sprouts. Wash them thoroughly and cut a cross in the base of each one.
2. Cook the sprouts in boiling salted water until just tender (about 10-12 minutes). Drain well.
3. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a frying-pan over moderate heat. Fry the onion and green pepper until the pepper is soft and the onion brown.
4. Peel the tomatoes and chop them roughly.
5. Add the sprouts, tomatoes and basil to the pan and heat through. Season well with black pepper and serve immediately.
1 person has helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!