The sausages can make the soup quite salty so do not add any extra salt until you have tasted it. If using ham stock, you will not need to use any salt at all.
1 potato, diced
1 large onion, sliced
1 small head celery, sliced
1/4 head firm cabbage, shredded
225 g (8 oz) can tomatoes
850 ml (1 1/2 pints) beef or ham stock
225 g (8 oz) can kidney beans, drained
1 large or 2 medium frankfurter sausages
50 g (2 oz) garlic sausage or salami, diced
50 g (2 oz) smoked sausage, diced
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
1. Put the potato, onion, celery and cabbage in a large saucepan. Add the tomatoes with their juice., breaking them up against the sides of the pan with a wooden spoon.
2. Add the stock to the pan and bring quickly to the boil. Lower the heat to moderate, cover and simmer for 40 minutes.
3. Add the kidney beans, cover and cook for a further 20 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, bring a pan of water to the boil. Put the frankfurters into it and heat them through for 2 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and slice.
5. Add the garlic and smoked sausage and the frankfurters to the soup. Simmer over low heat for 15 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning, then pour into warmed individual soup bowls and sprinkle with chopped parsley. Serve at once.
4 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!