Standing the dish in a tin of hot water for baking helps keep the pudding deliciously soft and moist.
During baking, the mixture separates into layers: a light sponge on top and a rich custard sauce underneath.
3 large eggs, separated
3 tablespoons plain flour
3 tablespoons caster sugar
175 ml (6 fl oz) milk
25 g (1 oz) butter, melted
grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
icing sugar, to dredge
pouring cream, to serve
1. Heat the oven to 170C/325F/Gas 3.
2. Place the egg yolks, flour, caster sugar, milk, butter and lemon zest in a large bowl and whisk until smoothly blended.
3. In a clean dry bowl, and using clean beaters, whisk the egg whites until stiff. Gently but thoroughly fold them into the lemon mixture, using a large metal spoon.
4. Spoon the mixture into a buttered 1 L/2 pint baking dish standing in a roasting tin. Pour enough hot water into the tin to come about 2.5 cm (1 inch) up the side of the dish.
5. Bake the pudding in the oven for about 1 hour until risen, golden, and just firm to the touch. Remove the dish from the tin. Sift icing sugar thickly over the top of the pudding. Serve while still warm, with cream.
1 person has helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!