serves 4 - 6
600 g cod
2 large onions (400 g approx)
1 large carrot (100 g approx)
2 sticks celery
200 g (7 oz) potatoes
2 tbsp (1 oz) 25 g butter
4 tsp olive oil
1 tsp curry powder
750 ml boiling water
salt and pepper
1/4 cup (2 fl oz) 50 ml white wine (optional)
3 tbsp (25 g) flour
125 ml milk
75 ml single cream
1. Prepare the fish and cut them into small pieces.
2. Prepare the onions, carrot, and celery and slice thinly.
3. Peel and dice the potatoes.
4. Heat the butter and olive oil in a deep saucepan.
5. Add all the vegetables and fry gently for 10 minutes.
6. Stir in the curry powder and cook for 3 minutes.
7. Add the boiling water, bouquet garni, and seasoning to taste.
8. Add the fish and re-heat the soup to simmering point; cover, and simmer until the fish is tender.
9. Transfer the best pieces of fish from the soup and keep them hot in a little of the liquid.
10. Simmer the rest of the soup, uncovered, for 15 minutes until it is reduced.
11. Remove the bouquet garni and rub the soup through a sieve, or process in an electric blender.
12. Add the wine, if used, and re-heat the soup.
13. Blend the flour with a little of the cold milk and then stir in the rest of the milk.
14. Stir it into the soup and heat to boiling point.
15. Add the pieces of fish and the cream to the soup at boiling point, but do not reboil.