To skin filberts (or hazelnuts), place the nuts on a baking sheet and bake at 180°c (350°f) gas 4 for 5-6 minutes. Put the nuts in a paper bag and rub against each other. The skin fibres will break down and the skins will be removed.
2 tbsp smooth apricot jam
8 fl oz whipping cream
1 tbsp icing sugar
2 tbsp finely chopped pistachio nuts
SHORT CRUST PASTRY
100 g (4 oz) plain flour
1/4 tsp salt
50 g (2 oz) margarine (or half butter, half lard)
flour for rolling out
1. Set the oven at 200°c (400°f) gas 6
2. To make the pastry, sift the flour and salt into a bowl, then rub in the margarine until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
3. Add enough cold water to make a stiff dough. Press the dough together with your fingertips.
4. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface and use to line twelve 3 inch patty tins.
5. Bake blind, then cool completely.
6. When the tartlets are quite cold, put a little apricot jam in the base of each.
7. In a bowl, whip the cream as stiffly as possible, gradually adding the sugar.
8. Put the cream into a piping bag fitted with a 1/2 inch nozzle and pipe in swirls and peaks over the jam.
9. Sprinkle with the chopped pistachios.