Spread the pancakes with smoked cod's roe pate (taramosalata), available in tubs from supermarkets and delicatessens, or with curd cheese mixed to a spread with tomato puree, snipped chives and salt and pepper to taste.
175 g (6 oz) cottage cheese
40 g (1 1/2 oz) plain flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
25 g (1 oz) butter, melted
3 eggs, separated
vegetable oil, for greasing
1. Heat the oven to 110°C (225°F) Gas 1/4
2. Sift the flour and salt into a bowl, then add the cottage cheese, butter and egg yolks and mix well.
3. In a clean, dry bowl, whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks. With a metal spoon, fold 3 tablespoons of the egg white into the cottage cheese mixture and then carefully fold in the remainder.
4. Heat a little oil in a heavy-based frying-pan. Drop about 6 tablespoons of the mixture into the pan, spacing them well apart, and fry over moderate heat for 2 - 3 minutes on each side until they are golden brown.
5. Remove the pancakes with a fish slice and keep hot in the oven while frying the second batch. Serve at once.